Monday, October 13, 2008

Middle School CFS

Well, we made it through 3 days of camping with 8th graders! We left Tuesday morning and arrived back in Nairobi Thursday afternoon. We definitely had an eventful trip! We took 2 buses and 1 van there and Ed and I were the sponsors on one of the buses. Our bus was the lucky one to break down on the side of the road. So imagine, a bus full of 8th graders in rural Kenya. Fun, fun! We ended up being on the side of the road for about 2 hours. The other bus got to camp and dropped off those students and then had to come back to get us and our luggage which was on top of the bus. Oh, and I forgot to mention the 2-3 times we had to stop before the bus broke down because things were falling off of the top of the bus! It was definitely an interesting journey!

We camped out in tents and had a guide group that ran all of the activities. When we got there we started with 4 groups and had team-building exercises. Like the log walk and spiders web. The next 2 days we had 3 groups with 3 activities. On Wednesday our group went on a mini safari. It was fun especially since Ed and I haven't been on a Safari yet and don't plan on going anytime soon. (we figure we have plenty of time for this!) We saw zebras, giraffes, impalas, warthogs (and little babies, which were actually cute!), baboons, chimps, waterbuffalos....and probably some other things that I can't remember to mention! Anyway, it was fun. Our 2nd activity was a bush walk. We walked back into a foresty area with our guide who taught us about the different plants and the things that the bush people would use. Our students were able to try to make a fire from just wood and shope bows and arrows and threw spears. It was a neat learning experience!

On Thursday we did a community project. We went to a local school and the guys mixed cement for a walkway and the ladies painted windows. I think this is actually what our students liked the best. They did a great job and worked hard. Ed and I were able to go to the "nursery", basically the Pre-K and K section, to meet those kids. There were about 50 students in each class with just one teacher. It definitely makes you appreciate what we have here at Rosslyn and in the states. The kids were adorable! Each class sang us a song which had motions to it. Ed decided to try to teach the K class "I'm a little teapot" which they understood some of. I think they enjoyed going through the song and doing the motions with us.

Thursday afternoon we headed back here to Nairobi and thankfully had a less eventful trip! We both enjoyed it, but were glad we had Friday off of school to relax and recover. I will continue to try to post pictures. I haven't been able to get any to upload so far, but I will keep trying! God bless~!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tricia and Ed. I so enjoyed reading your blog. I read backwards, of course--the most recent first. Meanwhile, I love reading about your lives in faraway Kenya. You remember Kanesa is in Niger and absolutely loves fried grasshoppers. The apartment is lovely, and I'm awed with the beauty. Your landlady must be blessed with a gardner's thumb to create such a beautiful spot. I'm jealous about the beauty, the camping, the mountain climbing, and even the walk to school--it's the adventure. I admire you both so much. Please know that I am praying for your health, safety, time for quiet times with the Lord, and your ministry and teaching experiences. One of my students is from the Congo--Amadine is her name. She misses the beauty of her home. She's a tall basketball player and lovely woman! She can't find any shoes, except men's shoes to fit her feet. Love you, Judy Hart